Please update your Flash Player to view content.

 

 

 Introducing the new "Campfire Teepee"  

I had since I was younger built many many campfires but until it was made I didn’t remember what a struggle it was to maintain a fire. Making a campfire was relatively easy but maintaining after 20 minutes or more was a hassle.

 

Knowing this I began by forming a teepee style. I measured the base, the length and then the top. I then attempted to calculate the two diameters (bottom and top rings) and the supports in between. I quickly found there was going to be a lot more to this then just welding a bunch of metal together.

I made the first unit with the diameter ring to large and the top ring to small. I noticed that there wasn’t a lot of movement of smoke, but there was a lot of smoke swirling around the fire. This meant that there was no draft and if I wanted the fire to draft the smoke up and away from the fire I would have to try different dimensions. 

Because I work a full time job the only time I have to work on this is in the evenings and weekends. And with everything else in life that comes up I was only committed to experimenting on occasion.

 

Over the next 3 ½ months I experimented with different diameters until I finally found the combination that would allow the fire and smoke to draft. Each time thinking I had found the answer, I would make a fire and try the new design, only to be disappointed again and again. But once the right combination was found I then had to create the proper supports. But just like the diameter rings I found that the supports if welded to wide would not allow for a vortex to be created. A vortex is a natural phenomenon that creates a draft within a sealed environment. If you take a log and hollow it out and then near the bottom drill a small hole. Light a fire within the log, the draft will draw air through the smaller hole and continue to ignite the fire.  Another example would be a chiminea, where the large opening draws air into the clay vessel and up the stack and out the smaller top hole.

 

After many attempts, again I found the right combination of length and width. I also found that most wood stoves use an 18” log and that this is the perfect length to be used with the medium unit. I also found that a fire place uses a 24” log which is the perfect length to be used for the large unit. You will not have to cut different lengths other then the lengths cut for a wood stove or fireplace.

 

Then there was the issue of each unit being too bulky. I had to find a way to break it down so that it was easily transportable and stored. I cut the medium unit in half and then welded different material and sizes to each end until I finally found the right material and size which would allow for the dismantling and reconnection to lock together.

 

My initial thought was that I could make this without a lot of time or expense. But once I got started I found that it was possible to make this and resolve all of the problems I had always known about campfires.

It is my hope that everyone that uses this new product is as excited about it as I am. I know that you will enjoy hours of easily maintaining your fire with little if not no hassles with breathing in or dodging the smoke again. Just remember the hours and months of experimenting that went into this product only so that you can finally enjoy a campfire the way it should be.

 

Thank you

Bill Autrey

 

 "Patent Pending"